6.20.2011

Moonshadow

Ahhh the summer.
I've become a camp-aholic, my mom got it right, and I am SO okay with that. Yesterday the bald sunrise woke me up flat on my back on the desert sand. I jumped in and swam through clear green pools of canyon water between towering orange cliffs. Rode in a car for three hours. Then I had a panic attack on a lonely branch 30 ft. (probably not an exaggeration) above blue pond water in a mountainshadow but jumped in anyway.
One of my best friends leaves for two years in three days. Another best friend leaves for two years in ten days.
This lovely lady had this genius idea and I'm making a real mix cd for a girl I blog-stalk (don't worry she doesn't blog-stalk me so she won't find out I'm her sender till she gets the treasure I'm creating in the mail) and it feels so good to make a real mix again. It's one of my favorite things to do, especially when it's for someone I don't know very well. And I hear I'm pretty good at it. Hey, at least I got some applicable skill from AP Music Theory. Mixes are like hour-long soundscapes of the creator's personality if he/she puts enough thought and effort into it. And I always do; probably too much. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to making a good mix. Which means I'm very excited to get my mix in the mail.
Iron & Wine. Live. One of the best experiences of my life, definitely not an exaggeration. No. Definitely not.
Got a Holga this week in the mail. After I paid for it. And then shot two whole rolls with it I'm going to go develop tomorrow. I hope it actually worked. Sometimes I think film is magic and I'm doing nothing but clicking a little button and absolutely nothing will come of this "taking a picture" business. And then I get the prints and I laugh at them like it's Christmas and I got everything I wanted without asking. The suspense is killer, the reward so sweet. And that's why I shoot film.
Planning on writing so much this summer. Not necessarily on here, though, sorry. I mean my regular writing, the kind I need to enter in contests (at my mother's requests/nagging) to get money for school. A.k.a. the kind that also will most likely be not successful, but I have to try on penalty of more requests/naggings. And the kind I need to distract me from the fact that most of my friends are gone.
My uncle got 5th in his age division in the Utah Valley Marathon a week or so ago and qualified to run in the Boston Marathon. THE Boston Marathon. Made me want to be a marathoner.
I held a hummingbird in my hands on Thursday. In my hands. I wish I would have paid better attention to its heartbeat, but it was so impossibly soft and alive and its wings erupted into motion so quickly and I had to let it go.
I saw a bobcat on Friday.
I lured a half-dozen blood-thirsty mosquitoes to my flesh on Saturday. I think I'm like Bella Swan to mosquitoes. If I get West Nile, I swear I'll kill something. Actually, I probably won't, I'll probably just lie (lay?) in bed and feverize. And die. But hopefully not any of those things.
I go through these Cat Stevens phases where I really like him for a little while and then forget he ever existed. I'm starting on the really like him for a while part again and I always wonder why I forget he's so great. Hippie-tastic.
It's very much time for bed, and I can't think of a graceful way to end this extremely scattered post, so I'll just... er... sign off? Bye. See you again before too long, I think.

Me and Lazarus -- Iron & Wine

1 comment:

  1. I would like a lovely little mix made by you. If that is okay?

    ReplyDelete