1. I learn a new word every day. The most recent: mimetic.
2. I've begun a list of books mentioned or recommended in class that I haven't read yet in the back of my planner and it has grown rapidly.
3. I feel like I need to watch Dead Poets Society and all of Star Wars soon or I'll miss a lot of allusions.
4. We talk about how to one-up engineering/business/any other majors in intelligence using poetry.
5. The professors assign us reading with huge grins on their faces, like they're giving us gifts instead of homework.
6. Judging by the smiles of my classmates, we feel the same way.
7. Today, one of my professors called pre-Bathsheba David "way too boring."
8. Another of my professors looks like a greying, Brown-educated Matt Damon.
9. Everyone kind of goes silent and says, "...really?" at the vocal kid in the front row who tells the professor that he has never heard of "The Red Wheelbarrow" in that tone like, "What? Who has even heard of that?"
10. We had all heard of it except for him.
11. And, most entertainingly, we get in surprisingly impassioned debates about the literary significance of Pride and Prejudice vs. Twilight.
College. It's fun, guys.
You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome -- Madeleine Peyroux
No comments:
Post a Comment