8.06.2011

Networking

There are few things that make me feel more connected to humanity than sewing.
Yeah, okay.
Think about it.
Peeps have been at it since cavemen times. Like, you know, making clothes. And blankets. And shoes. For millenia. Only (relatively) recently did most of the first world decide the ancient art of sewing is too time-consuming or menial for our million-miles-an-hour lives, even though we need it just as much as ever to survive. "To survive?" you ask. "How can that be?" Well let me tell ya. Imagine every stitch of clothing/bedding is taken from you at the exact moment every textile-related machine in the world collapses irreparably. In December. Yes, maybe you have the best furnace in the county. But I'll tell you right now, if you can't wield a needle and thread with any degree of competence, you won't be going back outside for a few months. Nor will you have much fun trying to fall asleep.
Anyway, I'm making a dress. And I was just thinking about that while I was working on it tonight. Not the taking clothing from everyone part. The sewing's been around since the beginning part.
Also, I'm reading Ivanhoe and surprisingly enough, am enjoying it. I only say "surprisingly enough" because I feel like it's one of those books, like Candide or Wuthering Heights, that everyone talks about being forced to read for school and about how much they detested the experience. I've never read Candide, but I enjoyed Wuthering Heights, so maybe I'm just wired differently than some people. Anyway. I'm just trying to tell you I'm enjoying Ivanhoe. Just reinforces my belief that Robin Hood DOES exist. (Yes, I believe that. Don't be hatin'.)
Also, school starts very soon. I'm so excited and nervous and FREAKING OUT that I might not get a job. I have the worst luck with procuring employment. One of the people who interviewed me a couple weeks ago told me I was far and away the most qualified applicant of the bunch; in fact, of all the bunches from the last few years he had been interviewing for the job. I walked away, thinking I had it in the bag. Never got a call. And then yesterday, the lady left hours before my interview time. Yep. Hours. Apparently she forgot about me or something. Who knows, because I haven't heard back from her (after I called her in a sincere but impressively controlled [if I do say so myself] panic.) THE WORST LUCK.
Today, I think I coughed up at least twice the amount of lung tissue I actually contain, and it's nearly midnight, so I'd better leave you with this impressively scattered post to get some much-needed sleep.
While I'm gone, you can listen to this guy. He headlined a breathtaking show last night under the quarter moon, and I got a front-row seat. Sneaky Lucky me, right?

Pitchfork -- Joshua James

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your cough; that's no fun. Hmm...Ivanhoe? That sounds like something up my alley. And yes, I'm also in the Robin-Hood-Exists club :) I wrote on him for my senior paper in college ;)

    ReplyDelete